Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Do you have time for a favor?

It is 8:11 in the morning. I just poured my second big cup of coffee. I have finished reading all of my morning readings. The sun seems to be shining, and the babe is moving alphabet magnets from the refrigerator to the dishwasher and back.

The day seems fresh and full of opportunity to get to those things I have been putting off. It seems like a good day to help make the world a better place, and I have some ideas on how I [we] can do this.

  1. Have you ever read Colin Beavan's Blog No Impact Man? If global sustainability is of interest to you, I recommend checking him out. He is the one that needs a favor today, and it is as simple as sending an email. Please see his request for emails to House Speaker Nanci Pelosi and Representative Jerrold Nadler of New York regarding the mitigation of global warming and 350 (a number he really wants you to understand). Just check out what he has to say. Pretty please? With a locally grown, dye free, organic cherry on top? (He needs these emails today or tomorrow, for he is meeting with them on Friday!
  2. I am determined to get some sunshine and physical activity in today. Working in my garden helps maintain biodiversity in my environment and balance in my soul.
  3. Everyone Deserves Music by Michael Franti & Spearhead. I think I finally found that social revolution music that appeals to both me, and my child. Music can change the world.
  4. I stopped reading right in the middle of a great article about one of my favorite authors Richard Wright in the NAACP Magazine, The Crisis. Today, perhaps while sitting in the sun, would be a good day to get back to that.
  5. Create. I create. Child creates. Creation is good. I have some paints that haven't been taken out in a while, and the day is ripe for it.
  6. The New York Times ran a story this morning called "Human Rights Report Assails U.S." about Amnesty International's Annual Human Rights Report. One quote from the article reads, 'The annual report said people “are still tortured or ill-treated in at least 81 countries, face unfair trials in at least 54 countries and are not allowed to speak freely in at least 77 countries.'" I read the NYT account, but maybe reading the full report will help my mind comprehend human rights a little more deeply today.
  7. I think I would like to take a walk, and eat some good food.
  8. And last but not least, not least at all, I implore each of you to visit the blog Love Through Action. This blog about the good deeds inspired by the love for a little girl battling cancer inspires me. She is now a part of my daily thoughts and actions. It is inspirational genius in its simplicity.
I hope everyone out there has a beautiful day, and that we [I] can even complete one of these, or at least some other valuable task today.

What is on your list of ideas? What do you want to do today?

5 comments:

goodwolve said...

OK. First I love Michael Franti. Second, I sent the email. Third, I brought a carrot cake to a friend's family because she is down with pneumonia. Fourth, I can't make it to the gym today but tomorrow I will and I will think of you!

Shannon said...

glad one of us getting some exercise!

Ras babi Babiker said...

keep on moving
much respect.

Val said...

I linked to your blog through No Impact Man.

Keep writing - you've got a great spirit!

Shannon said...

Why, thank you!

Bookshelf

Shannon's currently-reading book montage

The Complete Poems
Collected Poems
Kenya: Between Hope and Despair, 1963-2011
Anti-Bias Education for young children and ourselves
I Laugh So I Won't cry: kenya's Women Tell the Stories of Their Lives
How to Be Compassionate: a Handbook for Creating Inner Peace and a Happier World
Children
The Hundred Languages of Children: The Reggio Emilia Approach Advanced Reflections
The Secret Garden


Shannon's favorite books »

Shannon's read-in-2012 book montage

Rethinking Early Childhood Education
Anti-Bias Curriculum: Tools for Empowering Young Children
Safari Animals
Young Children Reinvent Arithmetic: Implications of Piaget's theory (early childhood education series
Total Learning: Developmental Curriculum for the Young Child
Clinical Supervision and Teacher Development


Shannon's favorite books »
}